Monday, June 27, 2011

Movie: Green Lantern

One of the movies that I have been anticipated to watch this summer would be Green Lantern, waiting to catch it since the first time I saw the trailer.


Green Lantern one of the well-known Marvel comics, made into movie, bet most people have high expectation. Or at least I did, a certain level of expectation. But surprisingly, I think this is one of those movie where they put all the good part into the trailer and leave none for the movie.


The trailer was good made me thinking that the movie is going to be good as well. To be honest, I was a little bored during the movie. Plus it was two hours long, I guess not all movies should be two hours long and definitely not Green Lantern.

Millions of years before the Earth was formed, a group of beings called the Guardians of the Universe used the green essence of willpower to create an intergalactic police force called the Green Lantern Corps. They split the universe into 3,600 sectors, with one Green Lantern per sector. One such Green Lantern, Abin Sur of Sector 2814, defeated the fear-essence being Parallax and imprisoned him in the Lost Sector (Sector 666) on the ruined planet Ryut. However, in the present day, Parallax escapes from his prison. Six months later, after killing four Green Lanterns and destroying two planets, Parallax attacks Sector 2814 and mortally wounds Abin Sur, who escapes and crash-lands on Earth. The dying Abin Sur commands his ring to find a worthy successor on the planet.
Ferris Aircraft test pilot Hal Jordan is chosen by the ring and transported to the crash site, where Abin Sur appoints him a Green Lantern. At home, accidentally charging the ring, Jordan is whisked away to the Green Lantern Corps home planet of Oa, where he meets and trains with Tomar-Re and Kilowog. He encounters Corps leader Sinestro, who is not pleased that a human - which is primitive compared to other species - has become a Green Lantern. With Sinestro seeing him as unfit and fearful, Jordan quits and returns to Earth, keeping the power ring and battery. Meanwhile, after being summoned by his father, Senator Robert Hammond, to a secret government facility, scientist Hector Hammond performs an autopsy on Abin Sur's body. A piece of Parallax's DNA inside the corpse injects itself inside him, mutating the scientist and giving him telepathy and telekinetic powers, at the cost of his sanity. After discovering that he was only chosen due to his father's connections, Hammond resentfully attempts to kill his father by telekinetically sabotaging his helicopter at a party. However, Jordan uses his ring to save the senator and the party guests - including his childhood sweetheart, Ferris manager and fellow test pilot Carol Ferris, who later recognizes Jordan under the suit and mask. Shortly afterward, Jordan encounters Hammond, who succeeds in his second attempt to kill his father by burning him alive. Both Jordan and Hammond realize Parallax is on his way to Earth.
Back on Oa, the Guardians tell Sinestro that Parallax was originally one of them, Krona, until he desired to control the yellow essence of fear, ultimately becoming the embodiment of fear itself. Believing the only means to fight fear is by fear itself, Sinestro requests for the Guardians to forge a ring of the same yellow power, preparing to concede Earth's destruction to Parallax in order to protect Oa. However, Jordan appears and tells Sinestro not to use the yellow ring and for the Corps to help him protect his planet from Parallax's imminent invasion. They deny his request, but allow Jordan to return and protect his home planet.
Upon returning to Earth, Jordan saves Ferris from Hammond injecting her with Parallax's DNA. Parallax arrives, consuming Hector's life force for failing to kill Jordan, and then wreaking havoc on Coast City. Jordan wards Parallax away from Earth and toward the Sun - using the Sun's gravity to pull and disintegrate the entity. He loses consciousness after the battle, but is saved by Sinestro, Kilowog and Tomar-Re before the entire Green Lantern Corps congratulate him for his bravery. Jordan tells Ferris he now bears the responsibility of protecting his sector as a Green Lantern.
During the end credits, Sinestro takes the yellow ring and puts it on.


I am not a Marvel comics reader but Marvel characters, you gotta know some, right? So yeah, I didn't know the storyline, I didn't know where about Green Lantern came from etc. So naturally my expectation should not be as high as Marvel comics readers, right? So I wonder how those people actually rate this movie after watching it.


I have the feeling that the movie is too long, too many talk and not so much actions? I don't know, just very very long. It was so long I was tweeting halfway through the movie, checking Facebook, ranting and yawning. Yes, that kind of bored. I bet my friend actually felt sleepy beside. It's like... too many romance? Is this a action romance movie? I am not sure.


While during the whole movie, all I can think of when Hal was suit up in his Green Lantern suit is 'he is naked and covered with a layer of thin green epidermis'. I know, kind of dirty thought but I swear it wasn't meant to be dirty.


Also, I wonder how does the villain, Parallax looks like in the comic because in the movie, Parallax looks no where near intimidating at all. Seriously, it looks like a bunch of cigarette smokes being compiled all together and put a face to it. I guess the comic version would at least look like a villain than a bunch of smoke?


One thing that I thought I wouldn't like before watching the movie was Blake Lively being in the movie. Seriously, a lot of people might like Blake Lively but all thanks to Gossip Girls, I never like her. I know she's pretty and all but the her impression from Gossip Girls have kept me away.

I kind of loathe Gossip Girls if you didn't know. I just hate it so much, I don't even understand why people like watching that series. It was so absurd and annoying to the max. But put that aside, I actually enjoy watching Blake Lively in Green Lantern.

I guess that just show how good an actress she is. In fact, I guess that's like almost the only thing I enjoy from the movie honestly. No doubt she's hot especially when she was wearing the office wear and she just looks so... Hot. Okay, I did not drool. Believe me. lol

2 comments:

ken said...

the bad guy died too easily :/

Anonymous said...

Just passing by but thought I'd inform you that Green Lantern is actually under the DC Comics brand and not Marvel. Cheers.

Post a Comment

No spam. Spam will not be treated kindly.